Wednesday, July 6, 2011

CRT Conquered and Updates

I took the CRT exam last month and passed it. I can now officially call myself a respiratory therapist. It feels so great. I know it’s been a long time since I last updated, but I’ve been really confused about some things, and terrified as well. I’m waiting for my respiratory license to come in so I can start applying for some jobs. Apparently I can’t even be considered for them even if my license status is pending. I’m hoping it’s just like that because I’ve never held one before, because I can’t afford to pay for a license in every state I apply for a job. It’d be silly to do that if there’s no guarantee I would even be using it. So for now, I’m still working at the store. It’s my goal to be out of there by the end of summer, and I’m hoping I can start living on my own before November.

I still need to schedule my Registry exam. That one is two parts: a written part and a simulation part. I can take them separately from each other, so I’ve been trying to study for the written one for now. I have a better chance of passing that than the simulation, which I’m told only about 60% of those who take it pass on their first try. I passed the practice exam I had to take before I was allowed to graduate, but only by 3 points. I was only one of 3 people in my class that even passed it at all, so at least my chances are reasonable. Nevertheless, I’m going over all kinds of formulas, normal lab values, pathophysiology, and mechanical ventilator guidelines for different conditions.

I’ve been kind of worried lately about my skill level with various procedures and just my knowledge in general. I feel like I’m forgetting everything I learned. It doesn’t help that I haven’t had a real ICU experience in a long time – much longer than it should have been thanks to being sent to 2 LTACs back to back my last semester. I’m terrified to start working because I think I’ll screw up or something. I don’t mind making mistakes normally, but not when someone’s life in on the line. I just don't feel like I'll be good enough at the job. I’m still not even entirely sure I made the right choice of careers, but it’s too late now. I’m going to give it my best shot and try to make it work. I think once I adjust, it’ll be okay.

I’ve been looking into other forms of employment, too. I know of several programs that would allow me to teach in Japan, something I’ve wanted to do for the last 7 or 8 years. I think I’ll put in some applications and see where it takes me. The 3 programs/companies I’ve found out about so far require a Bachelor’s degree in any field of study and no teaching experience is required. It seems that most contracts will last a year, and some programs allow you to renew them. I wouldn’t mind taking a year at minimum to try this out, especially since there’s not a way to work in respiratory therapy in Japan. I just can’t give up this dream. I gave up the opportunity to go to Japan once and I’ve regretted it ever sense. I can’t let that happen again. I know it’ll be hard living in a foreign country, but I want to see what I can do. That’s how you really find out what you’re made of. I love the culture and the language of Japan and this would be the best way to enrich my understanding and knowledge. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance and I have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment